Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A Warrior Breed


I watched a history channel show last night about our revolutionary war. My great grandfathers many times removed fought in that war. A father and son, William and Warner White, who lived in northern Virginia. It took a great deal of courage for our forfathers to take up arms against the country from which many had come, but we should remember that the main reason many came to this country to begin with, was to get out from under the English suppresion. Since then our White family has fought in almost every war this country has had. Including a great-great uncle who fought and died at the Alamo. My grandfather, above, fought in WWI, my father,above, fought in the Pacific in WWII. And I fought in Vietnam. The Civil war saw the White family on both sides. Despite the fact that it was mainly about slavery, there were others reasons people chose a side to fight on. States rights and family & peer pressure played major rolls in how men chose allegance. When it came my time to decide, there was no question or hesitation. It was a family tradition and something much deeper than that. It was at the core of my being, a natural choice if you will. I am not ashamed of what I am. There are many out there who know what I am talking about. One thing that I am concerned about today is that there seem to be fewer and fewer of my breed left. And that the long, hard fought battles to gain and maintain our freedom are in jeopardy. X.

1 comment: