Monday, March 28, 2011

Finishing Up





Most everyone finished thier bow yesterday. It is pushing things to teach someone to make a bow in just two days. But I had done some of the footwork, cut the logs and split them into wedges, then sawed out a rough form of the bow shape for the guys to work on. The moisture content was still a little high but not to bad.
The bottom picture is Mikes Ash bow on the tillering stick being checked to make sure both limbs are bending the same. Next picture is Casey working on a yellow wood (Osage Orange) bow. Above that is Devon with his Ash bow. The top picture is Jeff working on his Ash bow. My friend Bill, who has made some nice bows, was there to give a helping hand. All in all, I think everyone had a good time. X.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I've been trying to build some upper body strength so I can get back into archery. Do you make your own arrows, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. The whole nine yards. I've made primitive arrows, where I harvested the proper saplings and also make conventional wooden arrows as well. When I first got into making bows I made one with stone tools a flintknapping friend made for me. Just wanted to see how difficult it would be. Turns out it wasn't as hard as I thought. X.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, magnificent work. I know how much you love doing this. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete