Monday, April 12, 2010

Surprise Morels


Saturday evening when we got home Gi Gi went out in the yard to pick up sticks. Wasn't long before she came to the door with 3 little grey Morels. She had found them under one of the elm trees. It's very unusual to find mushrooms in town.

Finding them got our interest up. So yesterday we went to my stepdad's farm to look. We looked in my usual spots but didn't find any Morels. However I did find a few (elephant ear/beefsteak)variety. I've been eating these for over 30 years with no problems. The newer mushroom books that are out now say they are poisinous. That's news to me. Anyway I plan to continue eating them. So, if I don't post anymore you'll have a good idea what happened.

It's still a little early in this part of Missouri for the Morels. It shouldn't be long though, since the temps have been up the last few days. X.

3 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, don't say that...even in jest. When you look at it, NOTHING we did or ate when we were growing up was good for us, but we're still here.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even the Morels make some people sick. I'm not sure why all of a sudden the Gyromitra-esculenta (elephant ear/beefsteak)is not good to eat. Perhaps some biologists just wants to discourage people so he can get more of them for himself. X.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww. You make me a sad panda. I wants! Glad you found some, though.

    ReplyDelete